Purposes of the Marine Corps League
The purposes of the Marine Corps League as defined by General John A. Lejeune in the 1937 Congressional Charter are:
- To preserve the traditions and to promote the interests of the United Marine Corps
- To band together those who are now serving in the US Marine Corps and those who have been honorably discharged from service and fellowship that they may effectively promote the ideal of American freedom and democracy
- To fit its members for the duties of citizenship and to encourage them to serve as ably as Citizens as they have served the nation
- To hold sacred the history and memory of the men who have given their lives to the nation
- To foster love for the principles which they have supported by blood and valor since the founding of the Republic
- To maintain true allegiance to American institutions
- To create a bond of comradeship between those in the service and those who have returned to civilian life
- To Aid voluntarily and to render assistance to all Marines and former Marines as well as their spouses and dependents
- To perpetuate the history of the US Marine Corps and by fitting acts to observe the anniversaries of historical occasions of particular interest to Marines.
General John A. Lejeune
About the Marine Corps League
The Marine Corps League was founded by General John A. Lejeune in 1923 and chartered by an act of Congress. There are over 700 detachments Nationwide and over 42,000 members. The Marine Corps League is the only organization with a Congressional Charter and the legal voice in Veteran Affairs in Washington DC.
Included in the purposes of the league are the bond of friendship between Marines, whether former, active, retired or Reserve, and the focus on assisting Marines, their units and their dependents.
League members have the opportunity to be examples of patriotism, citizenship recognizing veterans, participating in special days of commemoration, and in Marine events. The most important organization in the league is the local Detachment. The MCAS El Toro Detachment is an organization supporting Marines and gaining prominence in the community. Activities include participating in patriotic events, programs to assist others, fundraising, and Marine socials. This includes Toys for Tots and USMC Jr. ROTC.
It's not the era in which you served, or the rank you attained that counts - it's having worn the eagle, globe and Anchor on your collar that set you apart. Join the MCAS El Toro Detachment of the Marine Corps League now, and renew the friendships, camaraderie, and pride of being a United States Marine.
To order Detachment Shirts and Embroidery of your Covers
To order your Detachment Name Badges
Click below to download the Uniform Guidebook
To order Marine Corps League Uniforms & Covers
MCAS El Toro Detachment 017
Marine Corps League
Contact Commandant George Hilbert to order your cards